Kentucky is known for its love of horse racing, but soon it will also be able to enjoy other forms of sports betting. In March 2023, Governor Andy Beshear signed a bill to legalize sports betting in the Bluegrass State, making it the 37th state to do so. The new law will allow online and retail sports wagering at licensed horse racing tracks and their gaming facilities, as well as through mobile apps and websites. Here is what you need to know about Kentucky sports betting and how to get ready for its launch.
How to bet on sports in Kentucky
The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission (KHRC) will be the exclusive regulator of sports betting in Kentucky, and it has six months from June 2023 to come up with the rules and regulations for the industry. The KHRC will also issue licenses to the eligible operators, which include nine horse racing tracks and up to 27 online sportsbooks. Each track can partner with up to three online service providers, such as DraftKings, FanDuel, or BetMGM, to offer sports betting services at the track itself or through online platforms.
To bet on sports in Kentucky, you will need to be at least 21 years old and physically located within the state borders. You will also need to register with a licensed sportsbook operator, either online or in person, and provide some personal information, such as your name, address, email, phone number, and social security number. You will also need to verify your identity and age with a valid photo ID. Once you are registered, you can fund your account with various payment methods, such as credit cards, debit cards, e-wallets, prepaid cards, or cash at the cashier cage of the partner track. Then you can start placing bets on your favorite sports and events.
What sports can you bet on in Kentucky
The new law allows betting on a wide range of professional and collegiate sports, including football, basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer, golf, tennis, boxing, MMA, and more. However, there are some restrictions on certain types of bets and events. For example, you cannot bet on:
- High school sports or youth sports
- Individual college athletes or coaches
- Prop bets on college games
- In-play bets on college games
- Non-sporting events, such as politics or entertainment
- Esports or fantasy sports
The KHRC will have the authority to approve or prohibit any type of bet or event that is not explicitly allowed or banned by the law.
What types of bets can you place in Kentucky
The new law allows various types of bets that are common in other states with legal sports betting. These include:
- Moneyline bets: You bet on which team or player will win the game outright.
- Point spread bets: You bet on which team or player will cover the point spread set by the sportsbook.
- Totals bets: You bet on whether the total number of points scored by both teams or players will go over or under a certain number set by the sportsbook.
- Parlay bets: You bet on two or more outcomes on a single ticket. All outcomes must win for your bet to win.
- Teaser bets: You bet on two or more outcomes on a single ticket. You can adjust the point spreads or totals in your favor for a lower payout.
- Round robin bets: You bet on multiple parlays on a single ticket. You can choose how many outcomes you want to combine in each parlay.
- Futures bets: You bet on an outcome that will happen in the future, such as who will win the championship or MVP award.
- Prop bets: You bet on specific events or statistics within a game, such as who will score the first touchdown or how many strikeouts a pitcher will have.
- Live bets: You bet on events that happen during a game in real time, such as who will score next or what the next play will be.
How to find the best Kentucky sports betting sites
With up to 27 online sportsbooks expected to launch in Kentucky by the end of 2023, you might wonder how to choose the best one for your needs. Here are some factors to consider when comparing different sites:
- Reputation and trustworthiness: You want to make sure that the site is licensed by the KHRC and follows all the rules and regulations of the state. You also want to check its customer reviews and ratings online and see if it has any history of complaints or scandals.
- Bonuses and promotions: You want to take advantage of the offers and incentives that the site provides to new and existing customers, such as welcome bonuses, free bets, risk-free bets, loyalty programs, and more.
- Odds and markets: You want to compare the odds and lines that the site offers for different sports and events and see if they are competitive and fair. You also want to see how many sports and markets the site covers and if it has the ones you are interested in.
- Features and functions: You want to see what features and functions the site offers to enhance your betting experience, such as live streaming, cash out, bet builder, stats center, and more.
- User interface and design: You want to see how easy and convenient it is to navigate the site and place bets on your preferred device, whether it is a desktop, laptop, tablet, or smartphone. You also want to see how the site looks and feels and if it matches your preferences.
- Customer service and support: You want to see how responsive and helpful the site is when you have any questions or issues with your account or bets. You also want to see what methods of contact the site offers, such as phone, email, live chat, or social media.
Kentucky sports betting is set to launch in 2023, bringing a new and exciting form of entertainment and revenue to the state. Whether you are a fan of horse racing or other sports, you will soon be able to place bets on your favorite teams and players at licensed tracks or online platforms. To get ready for the launch, you can learn more about the rules and regulations of sports betting in Kentucky, the types of bets and sports you can wager on, and the best sites to choose from. Remember to always bet responsibly and have fun.
- Q: When will Kentucky sports betting launch?
- A: The new law takes effect in June 2023, but the KHRC has until December 2023 to establish the regulations and licenses for sports betting. The exact launch date will depend on how fast the KHRC completes its work.
- Q: Where can I bet on sports in Kentucky?
- A: You can bet on sports at licensed horse racing tracks and their gaming facilities, or through online apps and websites that partner with the tracks.
- Q: What sports can I bet on in Kentucky?
- A: You can bet on a wide range of professional and collegiate sports, except for high school sports, youth sports, individual college athletes or coaches, prop bets on college games, in-play bets on college games, non-sporting events, esports, or fantasy sports.
- Q: What types of bets can I place in Kentucky?
- A: You can place various types of bets, such as moneyline bets, point spread bets, totals bets, parlay bets, teaser bets, round robin bets, futures bets, prop bets, and live bets.
- Q: How do I find the best Kentucky sports betting sites?
- A: You can compare different sites based on their reputation and trustworthiness, bonuses and promotions, odds and markets, features and functions, user interface and design, customer service and support.