Sports betting is a popular and lucrative activity in New Jersey, which has one of the most advanced and diverse online gambling markets in the US. In 2023, sports bettors in NJ can enjoy a variety of options, including online sportsbooks, mobile apps, retail sportsbooks, and in-play betting. However, there are also some important changes and challenges that may affect the future of sports betting in NJ. Here is a guide to help you navigate the sports betting landscape in NJ 2023.
Best NJ Sportsbook Apps
One of the main advantages of sports betting in NJ is the availability and convenience of online sportsbook apps. These apps allow you to place bets on your favorite sports and events from anywhere within the state, using your smartphone or tablet. You can also access live streams, stats, odds, promotions, and customer support from the apps.
There are many online sportsbook apps to choose from in NJ, but some of the best ones in 2023 are:
- Caesars Sportsbook: This app offers up to $1,250 in free bets for new customers, as well as a loyalty program that rewards you with credits for every bet you place. You can also access the Caesars casino and poker games from the same app.
- BetMGM: This app offers a first bet offer up to $1,000 for new customers, as well as a risk-free first bet up to $600 for existing customers. You can also enjoy daily boosted odds, parlay insurance, and live betting options.
- FanDuel: This app offers a no sweat first bet up to $1,000 for new customers, as well as a refer-a-friend bonus of $50 for each friend you invite. You can also take advantage of the cash-out feature, which lets you settle your bets before the event ends.
- BetRivers: This app offers a 2nd chance bet credit up to $250 for new customers, as well as a 100% deposit match bonus up to $250. You can also join the iRush Rewards program, which gives you points for every bet you make.
- bet365: This app offers a welcome offer of up to $500 in bet credits for new customers, as well as early payout offers, parlay bonuses, and live streaming options.
- Betway: This app offers a risk-free first bet up to $250 for new customers, as well as weekly free bets, enhanced odds, and cash-out options.
- Tipico: This app offers a 100% deposit match bonus up to $750 for new customers, as well as daily odds boosts, parlay insurance, and live betting options.
Legal Status of Sports Betting in NJ
Sports betting was legalized in NJ in 2018, after the US Supreme Court struck down a federal law that prohibited states from regulating sports gambling. Since then, NJ has become one of the leading states in terms of sports betting revenue and innovation.
However, there are some legal issues that may affect the future of sports betting in NJ. One of them is the expiration of internet gambling licenses in 2023. Internet gambling refers to online casino games and poker, which are also offered by some of the online sportsbook operators in NJ. Internet gambling was authorized in NJ for 10 years in 2013, but the Legislature has recently passed a bill that would extend it for another five years until 2028.
The bill is now awaiting approval from Gov. Phil Murphy, who has not indicated whether he will sign it or not. If he does not sign it by August 1st, internet gambling will expire in NJ and online sportsbooks may lose their ability to offer casino games and poker to their customers. This could have a negative impact on their revenue and customer retention.
Another legal issue that may affect sports betting in NJ is the potential expansion of sports betting to other states. Currently, NJ is one of the few states that allows online sports betting without requiring physical presence at a retail sportsbook. However, other states may follow suit and offer more competition to NJ’s online market. For example, New York has recently legalized online sports betting and is expected to launch it by early 2023. New York is one of NJ’s biggest sources of out-of-state bettors who cross the border to place bets online. If New York’s online market becomes more attractive and convenient than NJ’s, it could reduce NJ’s market share and revenue.
How to Bet on Sports in NJ
If you want to bet on sports in NJ, you need to follow some basic steps:
- Choose an online sportsbook app: As mentioned above, there are many online sportsbook apps to choose from in NJ, each with its own features, bonuses, and promotions. You can compare and review them on sites like Gaming Today or The Lines to find the best one for you.
- Register and verify your account: Once you have chosen an online sportsbook app, you need to register and verify your account. You will need to provide some personal information, such as your name, address, email, phone number, and social security number. You will also need to prove that you are at least 21 years old and that you are physically located within NJ. You can do this by uploading a copy of your ID and enabling geolocation services on your device.
- Deposit funds: After verifying your account, you need to deposit funds to start betting. You can use various methods to do this, such as credit cards, debit cards, e-wallets, prepaid cards, bank transfers, or cash at the casino cage. Some online sportsbooks may offer deposit bonuses or free bets as incentives for new customers.
- Place bets: Once you have funds in your account, you can start placing bets on your favorite sports and events. You can choose from different types of bets, such as moneyline, point spread, totals, props, futures, parlays, teasers, and more. You can also bet on live events as they happen with in-play betting. You can check the odds, payouts, and results of your bets on the app or on the website of the online sportsbook.
- Withdraw winnings: If you win your bets, you can withdraw your winnings from your account. You can use the same methods that you used to deposit funds or choose a different one. Some online sportsbooks may require you to verify your identity and payment method before processing your withdrawal request. You may also need to meet some wagering requirements or terms and conditions before withdrawing bonus funds or free bets.
Sports betting in NJ is a fun and exciting way to enjoy your favorite sports and events. In 2023, you can expect to find a wide range of options and opportunities to bet online or in person. However, you should also be aware of the legal status and potential changes that may affect the future of sports betting in NJ. You should always bet responsibly and within your means.
Here are some frequently asked questions about sports betting in NJ 2023:
- Is sports betting legal in NJ?
- Yes, sports betting is legal in NJ since 2018. You can bet online or in person at licensed operators.
- How old do I have to be to bet on sports in NJ?
- You have to be at least 21 years old to bet on sports in NJ.
- Do I have to be in NJ to bet on sports online?
- Yes, you have to be physically located within NJ to bet on sports online. Online sportsbooks use geolocation technology to verify your location.
- Can I bet on college sports in NJ?
- Yes, but with some restrictions. You cannot bet on any college events that take place in NJ or involve any NJ-based teams.
- What are the best online sportsbook apps in NJ?
- There are many online sportsbook apps to choose from in NJ, but some of the best ones are Caesars Sportsbook, BetMGM, FanDuel, BetRivers, bet365, Betway, and Tipico.
- What are the tax implications of sports betting in NJ?
- You have to report your sports betting winnings as taxable income on your federal and state tax returns. The online sportsbooks will withhold a certain percentage of your winnings for tax purposes. You may also have to pay additional taxes if you live in another state that taxes gambling income.