England and New Zealand will face each other in the opening match of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023, which will be held at Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad on Thursday, 05 October 2023. This will be a highly anticipated clash between two of the best teams in the world, who have a history of thrilling encounters in the recent past. Here is a review of their previous matches, their current form, and their key players for the upcoming game.
England and New Zealand have played each other 97 times in ODIs, with England winning 43, New Zealand winning 46, and eight matches ending in no result or tie. The last time they met was in a three-match ODI series in England in September 2023, which England won 2-1. The series was dominated by the batsmen, as both teams scored over 300 runs in each game. The highlights of the series were:
- 1st ODI: New Zealand won by eight wickets with 26 balls remaining at Sophia Gardens, Cardiff. England scored 328 for 8 in 50 overs, with Jonny Bairstow making 112 and Joe Root 79. New Zealand chased down the target with ease, thanks to centuries from Devon Conway (114 not out) and Will Young (120 not out).
- 2nd ODI: England won by seven wickets with 16 balls remaining at Edgbaston, Birmingham. New Zealand scored 294 for 9 in 50 overs, with Tom Latham making 86 and Glenn Phillips 58. England overhauled the target with a brilliant partnership of 221 runs between Dawid Malan (93 not out) and Ben Stokes (91 not out).
- 3rd ODI: England won by 181 runs at The Oval, London. England scored a massive 368 all out in 48.1 overs, with Ben Stokes smashing a record-breaking 182 off 124 balls and Dawid Malan making 96. New Zealand were bowled out for 187 in 36.2 overs, with Glenn Phillips scoring 72 and Liam Livingstone taking three wickets for 16 runs.
Both teams are in good form heading into the World Cup, having won their respective ODI series against other opponents. England beat Sri Lanka 3-0 at home in July 2023, while New Zealand beat Bangladesh 3-0 away in August 2023. Both teams have a balanced squad, with experienced players and young talents. They also have a variety of options in batting, bowling, and fielding.
The match will feature some of the best players in the world, who can make a difference with their skills and temperament. Some of the key players to watch out for are:
- Ben Stokes: The star all-rounder is the backbone of England’s team, who can win matches with his batting, bowling, and fielding. He is in sublime form, having scored his highest ODI score of 182 against New Zealand in the last series. He can also bowl fast and swing the ball both ways, as well as take stunning catches in the outfield.
- Dawid Malan: The left-handed batsman is one of the most consistent performers in ODIs, having scored over 1000 runs in just 21 innings at an average of over 57. He has a solid technique and a wide range of shots, which makes him difficult to contain. He also has a good record against New Zealand, having scored two half-centuries and a century in the last series.
- Chris Woakes: The fast bowler is one of the best new-ball bowlers in the world, who can swing the ball both ways and trouble the batsmen with his accuracy and movement. He also has a knack of taking crucial wickets at important stages of the game. He can also contribute with the bat lower down the order, as he has an ODI average of over 25.
- Devon Conway: The left-handed opener is one of the most exciting talents in world cricket, who has impressed everyone with his prolific run-scoring across formats. He has scored over 500 runs in just nine ODIs at an average of over 75, including two centuries and two half-centuries. He has a compact technique and a calm temperament, which makes him a reliable batsman at the top of the order.
- Will Young: The right-handed batsman is another promising player who has cemented his place in New Zealand’s middle order. He has scored over 400 runs in just eight ODIs at an average of over 66, including two centuries and a half-century. He has a fluent stroke-play and a positive approach, which makes him a dangerous batsman in the middle overs.
- Trent Boult: The left-arm fast bowler is one of the best in the business, who can swing the ball both ways and trouble the batsmen with his pace and accuracy. He also has a knack of taking early wickets and breaking partnerships. He was the leading wicket-taker in the last series against England, with nine wickets in three matches, including a five-wicket haul.
The match between England and New Zealand will be a thrilling contest, as both teams are evenly matched and have a lot of quality players. The match will also be a good test for both teams, as they will face each other in the same venue in the semi-final of the World Cup, if they finish in the top two of their respective groups. The match will be a high-scoring affair, as the pitch at Ahmedabad is expected to be flat and conducive for batting. The team that can bowl well and take wickets at regular intervals will have an edge over the other. The match will also be influenced by the toss, as the team that bats first will have an advantage of putting pressure on the chasing team.
- Q: When and where will the match be played?
- A: The match will be played on Thursday, 05 October 2023 at Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad. The match will start at 08:30 AM UTC.
- Q: What is the head-to-head record between England and New Zealand in ODIs?
- A: England and New Zealand have played each other 97 times in ODIs, with England winning 43, New Zealand winning 46, and eight matches ending in no result or tie.
- Q: Who are the key players to watch out for in the match?
- A: Some of the key players to watch out for are Ben Stokes, Dawid Malan, and Chris Woakes for England, and Devon Conway, Will Young, and Trent Boult for New Zealand.