The ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 is one of the most anticipated events in the cricketing world, featuring 10 top teams competing for the prestigious title. India is set to host this grand spectacle, and all the action is scheduled to take place between 5th October and 19th November 2023. The opening match will kick off at the iconic Narendra Modi Cricket Stadium in Ahmedabad.
One of the matches that cricket fans are looking forward to is the clash between England and Afghanistan, which will take place on Sunday 15th October, 2023 at the Arun Jaitley Stadium in Delhi. England are the defending champions and one of the favourites to lift the trophy again, while Afghanistan are the underdogs who have shown remarkable improvement and resilience in recent years. This match promises to be an exciting encounter that will test the skills and strategies of both teams.
In this article, we will provide you with some betting odds and tips for this match, based on the latest news, statistics and predictions. We will also answer some frequently asked questions about this match and the tournament in general.
The betting odds for this match are heavily in favour of England, who are expected to dominate Afghanistan in all aspects of the game. According to The Stats Zone, England have a 90% chance of winning this match, while Afghanistan have only a 10% chance. The odds for England to win are 1.10, while the odds for Afghanistan to win are 9.00.
However, cricket is a game of uncertainties, and anything can happen on the field. Afghanistan have shown that they can upset big teams with their spin bowling and aggressive batting. They have also beaten England once before in a T20 World Cup match in 2016. Therefore, some bettors might be tempted to back Afghanistan for a higher payout.
Some of the factors that could influence the outcome of this match are:
- The pitch conditions: The Arun Jaitley Stadium in Delhi is known to be a good batting surface, with an average score of around 300 runs in ODIs. However, it can also assist spinners as the game progresses, which could give Afghanistan an edge.
- The weather conditions: The weather forecast for Delhi on Sunday is sunny and hot, with a maximum temperature of 34°C and a minimum of 21°C. There is no chance of rain or cloud cover, which means that there will be no swing or seam movement for the fast bowlers.
- The form and fitness of the players: Both teams have some injury concerns ahead of this match. England’s star all-rounder Ben Stokes is ruled out of the tournament due to a finger injury, while their captain Eoin Morgan is recovering from a back spasm. Afghanistan’s captain Hashmatullah Shahidi is also nursing a hamstring strain, while their spinner Rashid Khan is doubtful due to a shoulder injury.
- The head-to-head record: England and Afghanistan have played each other four times in ODIs, with England winning three times and Afghanistan winning once. The last time they met was in the 2019 World Cup, where England scored a massive 397/6 and won by 150 runs.
Based on the betting odds and the factors mentioned above, here are some betting tips for this match:
- Bet on England to win: This is the safest and most obvious bet, as England are clearly superior to Afghanistan in terms of talent, experience and consistency. They have a strong batting line-up that can score big runs against any bowling attack, and a balanced bowling unit that can exploit any weakness in the opposition. They also have a psychological advantage over Afghanistan, having beaten them convincingly in their previous encounters.
- Bet on over/under total runs: This is another popular bet type that involves predicting whether the total number of runs scored by both teams will be over or under a certain value. For this match, we suggest betting on over 550 runs, as both teams have explosive batsmen who can score quickly on a flat pitch. However, if there is any sign of spin or turn on the pitch, you might want to lower your expectations and bet on under 500 runs.
- Bet on top batsman/bowler: This is a more specific bet type that involves predicting which player will score the most runs or take the most wickets in the match. For this match, we suggest betting on Jos Buttler as the top batsman for England, as he is in sublime form and can destroy any bowling attack with his power and innovation. For Afghanistan, we suggest betting on Rahmat Shah as the top batsman, as he is their most consistent and reliable batsman who can anchor the innings. For the top bowler, we suggest betting on Adil Rashid for England, as he is their leading wicket-taker and can trouble the Afghan batsmen with his variations and googlies. For Afghanistan, we suggest betting on Mujeeb Ur Rahman, as he is their most economical and accurate spinner who can create pressure and take wickets.
England vs Afghanistan is a match that will showcase the contrast between the established and the emerging teams in world cricket. England are the favourites to win this match and the tournament, while Afghanistan are the underdogs who have nothing to lose and everything to gain. This match will be a test of skill, strategy and temperament for both teams, and a treat for the cricket fans.
We hope that this article has provided you with some useful information and tips for betting on this match. However, please remember that betting is a risky activity that involves chance and uncertainty, and you should only bet what you can afford to lose. Always bet responsibly and enjoy the game.
- Q: When and where is the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023?
- A: The ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 is scheduled to take place between 5th October and 19th November 2023 in India. The tournament will feature 10 teams divided into two groups of five each, playing a round-robin format. The top four teams from each group will qualify for the semi-finals, followed by the final.
- Q: How can I watch the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 live?
- A: The ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 will be televised live on various channels across the world. In India, you can watch it on Star Sports Network or stream it on Disney+ Hotstar. In the UK, you can watch it on Sky Sports or stream it on Sky Go. In Australia, you can watch it on Fox Sports or stream it on Kayo Sports. For other countries, you can check the official ICC website for more details.
- Q: How can I get tickets for the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023?
- A: You can get tickets for the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 by visiting the official ICC website or any of their authorised ticketing partners. You can also buy tickets at the venue on the day of the match, subject to availability. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there might be some restrictions or limitations on the number of spectators allowed at the stadiums. Therefore, it is advisable to book your tickets in advance and follow the safety guidelines issued by the authorities.
- Q: Who are the favourites to win the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023?
- A: According to Outlook India, the favourites to win the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 are England, India, Australia and New Zealand. These four teams have been consistent and dominant in ODI cricket in recent years, and have a strong chance of reaching the semi-finals and beyond. However, other teams like South Africa, Pakistan, West Indies, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh cannot be underestimated, as they have some talented and experienced players who can spring surprises on any given day. Afghanistan are the least likely to win the tournament, but they have shown that they can challenge any team with their passion and spirit.